Thursday, June 01, 2006

All i need is ...

an air-conditioned Soviet-era train, and a visa to guide me.
The scene: Gara de Nord, arguably the worst place to step into after being on the road for two days.

Met this sketchball who seemed nice, didn't demand money, and instantly latched himself on to me in the 'i'm not a mooch but want some cash' kind of way that only occurs when one leaves the stuffy confines of the European Union.

I arrived in Bucharest at around 2pm, with my departure around 8pm. I basically was a greased-ball'd mess, as humanity leaves me after two days without a shower. I mentioned that I just wanted some beers and food, and to walk around the city a bit. Checked my luggage, then headed to a "beer festival" that was actually pretty cool, but the only thing to eat there was sausages and other meat goodies, which wasn't bad but since i knew i would be on a pork diet for most of the summer resigned myself to being stinky, eating pork, and farting a lot on the train. which is not to say abnormal, as my fellow bunkmates were also feeling the 'romanian wind'

though my unnamed romanian friend mentioned that farting is akin to death ... not a problem. on the train my russian helped me very much, as most people of a certain age in moldova seem to have a soft spot for Russian whereas the younger (mid-twenties and younger) use Russian words only sporadically.

but needless to say the train was like a furnace, and only two hall windows in the whole train opened. Classic soviet style, no air flow of any kind, as the wind through the hair might, i dunno, make one comfortable. i'm definitely riding the bus in the future.

i slept only sporadically, as the heat kept me up and the sleep was more of a respite caused by exhaustion and not by comfort. before getting on the train in bucharest, i bought some groceries and these things helped out greatly. apples, sausages, a tomato, some bread, and a hunk of tasteless cheese did me well. i also purchased a red bull that, contrary to what you might think, actually put me to sleep.

that's enough for now. the family i live with is great, and i have my own personal guide, Christina, a temporarily displaces person. i'll just say that the mayonnaise is plentiful as is the hospitality. so much, in fact, that my language training and "research" hasn't begun. but it's only my third day.

in any case, poka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home